The Journal Sentinal published a story about an ongoing investigation of a 20 year old American tourist who died at an all inclusive resort in Mexico. The family believes she (and her brother) were targeted and drugged by the resort staff in an attempt to extort money from them. The family's attorney asserted that perhaps the resort was mixing brand name liquor with grain alcohol or other additives that can be toxic, harmful and fatal. The story was well written and well researched. I applaud the Journal Sentinal for quality journalism. The story itself is heartbreaking and it troubles me.
You can read the story here.
I'm not one to overreact. If anything, I am here to remind you that millions of Americans will visit all inclusive resorts (where your alcohol is included) this year. And with minor exception, they come home happy and extremely satisfied with their trip. The biggest danger being dehydration and too much exposure to the sun.
This horrific incident took place at a reputable resort owned and managed by an excellent company. If the allegations are true (which would be very hard to prove) that employees are mixing alcohols in an attempt to extort money from tourists, then this is a problem. However, the likelihood of proving that is pretty slim.
So what can you to protect yourself? Nothing...really. This is a numbers a game and the odds of being targeted by rogue employees for nefarious reasons is pretty slim.
On another note, this is HUGE story for resort owners. Pay close attention to this story, launch meaningful and private internal investigations and insure this ISN'T happening right under your nose at your properties. The last thing Americans need to hear is their free booze may kill them in Mexico. If that's the story that is heard, then they will simply go somewhere else.
I am on a mission to get you traveling more often. This blog is a reflection of my mission.